I haven’t had much to say for myself lately so I was delighted to check back in and find that I’d been nominated for the Liebster Award by the marvellous pfstare. A whole half month ago, yes I really am that slack. So thanks pf, your support (in fact all support) is wholly appreciated.
The Liebster Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. So, what is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Isn’t that sweet? Blogging is about building a community and it’s a great way to connect with other bloggers and help spread the word about newer bloggers/blogs.
Here are the rules for receiving this award:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs!
So, questions first:
1. If you had to choose a final meal, what would it be and why?
Lobster and crab. I feel too guilty to eat them most of the time as being plunged into boiling water sounds pretty horrific, but if I’m going to die tomorrow then fuck it.
2. Are you currently doing what you thought you would be doing in life and if not why not?
I never thought I’d be doing anything in life other than hopefully being happy. I am very happy so in that sense, yes. But I never thought I’d be a married stay at home mum with a grey Ford Focus parked outside my suburban house. I also never thought I would be confident or content or loved. Surprises can be good.
3. Has anything ever been a huge surprise to you and if so, what was it?
Falling in love with Mr Bones! We had known each other for the longest time as part of a group of friends before we started hanging out and making music. Lots of laughs over the microphone, lots of intense talks over the pub table, connecting connecting connecting and all my synapses were zinging like zither strings. He’s such a cool friend, I thought, if only he was my type he’d make a great partner. And then one morning I woke up and it hit me like a faceful of sunlight.
4. Where would you most like to travel to and why?
Japan, because I love the language and the culture fascinates me, also the landscape seems so varied and beautiful.
5. Which is your favourite film and why?
I don’t do favourites – every film offers something different and specific, unless it stars Steven Seagal, so it’s unfair to elevate one without a meaningful basis for comparison. Here are three films that I loved and that unexpectedly made me sob my heart out: Red Road, Skeletons, You Can Count On Me. I’m not a film snob though; the best shit film I’ve ever seen (discounting The Room, of course, which is in a category all of its own) is Ski School. Magnificently, awesomely shit. I am probably the only person ever to deliberately purchase a VHS of this film.
6. What irritates you most?
7. What is your guilty pleasure?
Next Top Model.
8. What song or piece of music never fails to cheer you up?
9. What do you like most about where you live?
It feels like home, and the parks are freaking awesome.
10.Who makes you laugh and why?
Boringly for anyone reading this, it’s my husband and kids. Mr Bones makes me laugh every single day, not bad going for over a decade in close quarters. My son is at the rambling non-sequiturs age and my daughter is a wild imp with impeccable slapstick timing.
11.Is there any one thing you’re determined to do one day that you haven’t done yet?
Actually, there are two: publish some novels and get my tattoo finished.
Here are 11 things about me:
1. I have a full back tattoo by the legendary Hannah Aitchison, but for various reasons it is not yet finished. We started it seven years ago. One day it will be finished!
2. I once went to Glastonbury on Primal Scream’s tour bus.
3. I have hyperdontia, manifesting as a set of ‘nines’ – extra, miniature molars that sprout beyond the usual eight. They are a pain to keep clean but I was secretly gratified to find that there is something rare about me, even if it’s that I’m a dental freak of nature.
4. I have performed at the Barbican (playing steel pans, when I was 12).
5. My mum killed herself when I was 14 and everything changed, not for the better.
6. In my head I’m always working out.
7. I can’t ride a bike. I mean, I am probably capable, but I never learned as a child. It’s on my to-do list.
8. I am part Danish.
9. Some people, when immersed in a different accent, take on aspects of that accent by osmosis. I experience the opposite: my ridiculous South London accent grows stronger when threatened. When I lived in Leeds, I was basically Bob Hoskins in a wig.
10. I have experienced genuine, life-changing love at first sight…but we didn’t stay together.
11. I spent a large part of my childhood trying to tunnel through the back of my wardrobe to Narnia.
As for my nominated blogs, I have a shameful truth to confess. I couldn’t come up with 11 that met the criteria. I am crap at investing my time properly into any one thing and while I often browse the blogosphere, the sheer volume of fascinating content out there overwhelms me and sends me scurrying back to my favourite haunts. As part of my penance, I promise to go forth and get involved more. In the meantime, here are six nominees.
And my questions for them are:
1. Have you ever had a mystery admirer?
2. If you have siblings, what are the worst injuries you ever inflicted on each other?
3. If you could have any pet (real or imaginary creature), what would it be?
4. Can you play any musical instrument/s?
5. Have you ever milked a cow?
6. What’s your favourite sandwich filling?
7. You are given carte blanche to deface one public work of art. No one will ever find out it was you and you can make any kind of statement you like. What would you do?
8. What piece of advice would you give your 14 year old self?
9. What piece of advice do you think your 90 year old self would give you?
10. Name a brilliant song that no one else has ever heard (and post a Youtube link if you can).
11. What is the oddest thing that you have a sentimental attachment to?
Thanks again pf, and thanks to everyone who ever stops by, reads, likes, etc. It really does keep me going. You may wish you hadn’t bothered now…